How to handle different versions of your model on the IAMC wiki?
The underlying software is not made to manage versions of sets of pages, the system keeps a history only for individual pages. So we created a version management solution with pdf-files of previous versions. These pdf-files contain the reference card information plus all documentation pages of a model on the time of creation.
How it works
- A snapshot page has been created for each model: Snapshot of - <model>, for example Snapshot of - IMAGE. When you open this page, the current content of your model will be retrieved and put together on this page.
- An archive page has been created for each model: Archive page of - <model>, for example Archive page of - MESSAGE-GLOBIOM. This page will guide you through the process of archiving
- The archive page creates a specific version page for your model, named: Archive of <model> version <model version>, for example Archive of REMIND version 1.7. The version number will be derived from the model info of the About section of the reference card! The version page contains a link to the archive pdf, the archive date and (optional) a comment.
- The info box on the documentation pages contains a section Previous versions. All version pages will be listed here.
Note: You can always create a pdf of the snapshot page for backup purposes
The update process of a model
An update of the documentation of your model to a recent version should follow these steps:
- Check whether the version number of your model represents the correct number for the current description in the About section of your model page (see table in next section).
- Use the Archive page of your model (see table in next section) to create a version page.
- Change the version number in the About section into the new version number
- Start updating the content
Remove an archived version
- Open the version page that you want to remove
- Type on a new tab the URL of the pdf file using the pdf name on the table below and prefix it with "https://www.iamcdocumentation.eu/index.php/File:", so the page name is File:<pdf-name>
- Delete the version page: top-menu=>More=>Delete
- Delete the pdf file (step 2) with the delete option on the page